Resource Network

Our Favorites!


Affordable virtual counseling sessions available with Counseling West! They can provide options for problem-solving and recovery. Your communication is private and confidential. Discounted Rates for ASOH recipients only, $10/Session.


  • Anyone

How do I enroll?

  • Visit
  • Head to “Contact”
  • Fill out Therapy Request
  • Under Name, put your first and last name


Most wishes range from $10-$100 – though we do (at times) accept “Big Wishes” for items and experiences up to $425.

Examples of wishes include:

  • Clothing & Shoes
  • Assistance with textbooks or other items needed for school
  • Laptops & tablets
  • Home furnishings
  • Bedding
  • Gift cards for gas, groceries and more

Things OSW does not fund:

  • Rent
  • Utilities
  • Ongoing needs
  • Reimbursements
  • Credit card bills
  • Fines & penalties
  • VISA, AMEX, or other pre-paid cards


  • Former ASOH recipient

How do I enroll?

  • Email to obtain a wish!
  • Once you contact, fill out the form sent to you in as much detail as possible.
  • Ensure that you provide a link to the item you want.
  • One wish per recipient.


213-378-0704 |

Friends of LA provides youth 4-6 with a long-term mentor from kindergarten through graduation. Each child gets a dedicated, one-on-one Friend who will spend a minimum of 16 intentional hours per month with them. They develop a road map for each child, design activities to build life skills, and create meaningful experiences to explore each child’s unique talents and interests.


  • Former Foster Youth with a child between ages 4-6
  • Live within SPA 4, 6, and 8 (limited)

How do I enroll?


213-221-1176 |

Monthly Meetings to discuss and empower foster youth in social change! Meetings include food and activities such as: Self Love Poetry Bar, Paint to Release, etc.


  • Current and former foster youth
  • Relative care givers
  • TAY ages 17-29

How do I enroll?


Online access center for current and former foster youth.


iFoster offers:

  • Digital Locker (Cloud-based for your documents!)
  • Free Cell Phone (ages 13-26)
  • Discounted Products
  • Office Depot Discount (15%-80%)
  • Laptop Computer with Microsoft Windows (6-24)
  • Online Computer Programming Lessons via Code Academy


  • 16-24
  • Current/former foster youth

How do I enroll?

  • Visit and sign up for a membership
  • Approval takes 1-2 business days
  • You’ll then gain access to ALL resources listed above!



CLC provides consistent, zealous, and effective legal representation for children ages 0-21 in the foster care systems in Los Angeles, Sacramento, and Placer counties in California in all aspects of their dependency court case.


  • Age 18-21
  • In foster care at 18, not adopted and/or did not have legal guardianship
  • Legal guardian is no longer supporting you or passed away

How do I enroll?


WIN is a free web and mobile app designed to connect youth ages 12-25, families and adults to essential services – all accessible without a referral.

WIN App offers over 1800 area service providers and programs in 11 search categories:

  • Shelter
  • Crisis
  • Food
  • Drop-In Centers
  • Health
  • Legal
  • Hotlines
  • Education
  • Jobs
  • Transportation
  • Benefits
  • And more – download the app now to find resources near you!


  • No eligibility requirement

How do I enroll?


TIPP is gifting its program to every foster youth who receives a home creation form ASOH. The TIPP program helps you “reset” your mind by resolving past trauma and eliminating the baggage that trauma creates. Our partnership builds fresh emotional foundation, on top of a new physical structure for a new start on life. The TIPP Program helps you “reset ‘your mind by resolving past trauma and eliminating the baggage that trauma creates.


  • All applicants who receive a Full Home Creation from ASOH

How do I enroll?


Project Destined trains scholars using a blended (live courses + e-learning) education model that is grounded in ownership, investing and financial health. They deliver programming through the model: TRAIN, COMPETE, GROW. Project Destined has partnerships with leading corporations and entrepreneurs, to help provide their scholars with access to the best class networks and mentors. They also help to provide scholars with opportunities, such as:

  • Purchasing a Home
  • Entrepreneurship
  • Real world project-based experiences that translate into internships
  • Employment and/or certifications
  • $500 Stipend for Program Participation


  • ASOH Recipients
  • Must be a high school student or enrolled in college courses
  • Must have access to a computer and high-speed internet
  • 4 hours per week virtual instruction, 2 hours per week independent learning, mandatory ZOOM participation

How do I enroll?

COVID-19 Resources

Have you been tested?


Los Angeles County has options available for COVID-19 testing! Even though all LA County residents who want a test should first call their Primary Care Provider or Healthcare Center to get a test, if you don’t have this care available or can’t access your provider there are testing options available!


  • Varies depending on location

How to find a center near you:

  • Visit
  • Enter your location
  • Check boxes to narrow/widen your search
  • Select whether you want to include or exclude places that: are walk-up only, test minors, currently unavailable, etc.
  • Select your preferred location and register for an appointment!


Cities in Los Angeles and Ventura Counties have launched emergency rental assistance programs. Since 2007, this community resource has helped people list and locate housing in the County of Los Angeles, including affordable housing, special needs, emergency housing, and more listings and searches are free.

Emergency Rental Assistance Services:

  • COVID-19 Pandemic Resources
  • Locations with affordable housing
  • Find Rentals


  • Live in LA County/Ventura County
  • Eligibility varies depending on location

How do I enroll?

  • Visit
  • Input the city, county or ZIP code that you are interested in finding housing
  • Find the best option for you and contact the location
  • For more help, you can call 1-877-428-8844 (toll free), Monday-Friday, 6 am – 5 pm

Accessible Food Resources


323-234-3030 |

LA Food Bank distributes food and other essentials to children, seniors, families and other
individuals in need.


  • Some Food Banks ask for ID requesting geographical location
  • Eligibility varies depending on location
  • Some locations do not need documentation, some require applications

How do I enroll?

  • Go to
  • Type in your zip code to find pantry agencies, locations, and times near you!
  • You can also call the Los Angeles Regional Food bank at: 323-234-3030
  • Their database can be outdated, so please call and check each location!


310-258-7400 |

CalFresh is for people with low-income who meet federal income eligibility rules and want to add to their budget to put healthy and nutritious food on the table.


  • Limited income
  • Limited property
  • Households can be as small as one person – you do not need a home to receive CalFresh.
  • Social Security number

How do I enroll?

  • Visit and fill out an application (this will take about 10 minutes and you will be guided step by step)
  • Submit proof of your situation (ID, paystubs, rent receipts, etc.) – can be completed during the application process, or any time within the next 30 days
  • Complete an interview with a county worker (30–60-minute phone interview)
  • If approved, you will receive an EBT card with money for groceries within 30 days
  • If you have questions, call: 310-258-7400

Baby & Child Supportive Services


323-944-0210 |

Imagine LA’s innovative Family Empowerment & Mentorship model combines intensive case management, individualized mentorship, and links to public and private resources.

Imagine LA offers:

  • Their staff social workers help families to set goals and access resources.
  • 1:1 mentoring for each member of the family over the age of 5.
  • Head of household is paired with a financial wellness mentor.
  • Mentors average between 4-5 hours with their mentees per month.


  • Families who have experienced homelessness within the last 2 years
  • Have at least one child 17 years or younger living in the home OR a pregnant mother in her 34th trimester OR reunifying with a child within 6 months
  • Open to welcoming mentors for each family member
  • Lives in San Fernando Valley, Central LA, West LA or South LA
  • Not working with another ICMS (Intensive Case Management Services)

How do I enroll?


310-661-3080 | |

For more than 35 years, South LA Health Projects has been fighting health disparities by educating and encouraging people to make healthy choices – such as eating nutritious foods, breastfeeding their babies, taking proper care of themselves before and during pregnancies, and vaccinating themselves and their children.

South LA Health Projects offers:

  • WIC – 10 different locations in LA County (WIC provides groceries, health screenings)
  • Breastfeeding counseling and education
  • Immunization screening and referral
  • Substance abuse referral, and more!


  • Pregnant Women
  • Mom’s with children under the age of 4
  • All foster youth from 0-5
  • Low-income home

How do I enroll?

  • Call 310-661-3080. Press #1
  • Create a file
  • Set up an appointment at an office


SHIELDS’ Welcome Baby Program offers pregnant women and new moms with information, support, and trusted partners to help participants through the journey of pregnancy and early parenthood. Services include: hospital visits, parent coaching, information and support with pre- and post-natal health care, and linkage and referrals to a wide range of supportive services.

Shield’s MAT (Multidisciplinary Assessment Team) offers:

For families and children ages 0-21 who are under the jurisdiction of the DCFS

  • Hospital Visits
  • Parent Coaching
  • Free services for those delivering at St. Francis Medical Center, Centinela Hospital, and Martin Luther King Hospital


  • Pregnant and parenting women and their children ages 0-5

How do I enroll?


855-427-2736 |

Being a parent is a critically important job, 24 hours a day. It’s not always easy. Call the National Parent Helpline® to get emotional support from a trained advocate and become an empowered and stronger parent.


  • Anyone

How do I enroll?


213.260.7600 |

Children’s Institute provides early education, behavioral health and family strengthening services to 30,000 children and families each year. They also train professionals and caregivers in trauma-informed care, evidence-based clinical treatment, parenting, and fatherhood.

Children’s Institute LA offers:

1) EARLY CHILDHOOD PROGRAM (for children 0-5):

  • Home-based and center-based early childhood programs for children birth to five years old in Koreatown, Watts, South Los Angeles, Compton and Wilmington – which are free for qualifying families.
  • Child development education, parent support, prevention education.

Program Eligibility:

  • Any parent that has a child from 0-5.

How do I enroll?


  • The Individualized Transition Skills Program supports transition-aged foster youth in preparing for adult life! The program provides mentorship and encourages college readiness. They also offer life skill classes including personal finance and job training.
  • School Counseling at more than 30 LAUSD schools.
  • Adoption Support Services supports children and families through the adoption process and beyond

Program Eligibility:

  • Must be connected to DCFS

How do I enroll?

  • Must be referred by DCFS
  • Must still be in Foster Care

3) PROJECT FATHERHOOD (for fathers):

  • Individual and family counseling
  • Group support
  • Significant others group
  • Therapeutic activities for children
  • Helping fathers to make healthier decisions in relationships

Program Eligibility:

  • Any father

How do I enroll?



323-746-5800 |

The Emporium is a storefront that offers transition-age foster youth and young adults basic essentials, career & casual clothing, accessories, toiletries, undergarments, school supplies, and books for free! Can go once every 4 months.


  • Transitional aged youth between 18-24

How do I enroll?



Empowering former foster youth aging out of the system. Stepping Forward meets every first Saturday of the month for lunch, networking, games, mentor matching, and resource referrals.

Stepping Forward LA offers:

  • Co-Mentoring
  • Transition Program: 8-week program including goal planning, peer mentorship, and panel discussions
  • Education – assistance and guidance
  • Peer Advocacy Program
  • First Saturday Meetings (ages 15-23)


  • Former Foster Youth Ages 14-25

How do I enroll?

College Support


310-414-1600 |

Echoes of Hope supports current former foster students. Resources include: textbook support, housing, meal assistance, transportation, graduation expenses and more!


  • Ages 0-30
  • Currently enrolled in school
  • Former Foster Youth

How do I enroll?

  • Ask for an application from ASOH staff
  • Fill out application
  • ASOH will refer applicants to Echoes of Hope


Use this page to find all kinds of resources and assistance to not only get into college, but to find success while enrolled! As you plan and apply for college, organization and staying on track are key. There are a myriad of helpful guides, programs, websites and people, which in itself can be overwhelming. To help you get started, download the college planning guide (also available in Spanish).


  • Anyone

How do I enroll?



424-581-6296 |

Ready to Succeed empowers youth impacted by foster care to graduate college, launch successful careers, and reach their full potential.

Ready to Succeed offers:


  • New scholars are paired with career and personal development coaches.
  • Scholars attend quarterly workshops, receive 1:1 communication coaching and are introduced to major players in their industry of choice.
  • RTS Coaches help Scholars create an Individual Career Plan and navigate the application and interview process
  • Once placed at a job or internship, scholars receive ongoing career and personal support.

Program Eligibility:

  • Enrolled at a 4-year college
  • Former foster youth
  • No age limit

How do I enroll?

  • Go to
  • Select “Approach” found on the top menu
  • Scroll to the bottom and find “Become a Scholar”
  • Click “I’m Ready” and start your application


  • Connects transition-age foster youth with transformative experiences in the media, arts and entertainment industries.

Program Eligibility:

  • A current or former foster youth
  • Between ages 18 and 25 years old
  • Currently attending a community or 4-year college in California
  • Legally authorized to work in the US

How do I enroll?

  • Application opens in January
  • Go to
  • Select “She Ready Internship Program” (found via the top menu)
  • Scroll and find “Application Process”
  • Click “Online Application” and start your application


215-968-1001 |

The Law School Admission Council is a non-profit organization committed to promoting quality, access, and equity in law and education worldwide by supporting individuals’ enrollment journeys and providing preeminent assessment, data, and technology services. They have several resources to help anyone get into law school!

Law School Admission Council (LSAC) Offers:


  • Streamlines law school admission process. LSAC summarizes and combines that information with LSAT scores and writing samples into a report that is sent upon request to the law schools to which the applicant applies.


  • Free Official LSAT Prep. Users create a personalized practice plan and build their skills with interactive lessons and official practice questions from real LSATs.
  • Official LSAT PrepTest books for inexpensive practice on real LSAT questions.

3) Law School Admission Test (LSAT)

  • Find upcoming dates for the test and register to take it. You can also find a breakdown of the LSAT fees (and waivers), disability accommodations, and your LSAT scores.

4) Law School Forums

  • Meet with representatives of LSAC-member law schools at one- or two-day forums held annually in cities throughout the United States. Attendees may spend anywhere from a few hours to an entire day at a forum. That is a place where law school representatives and law school candidates can meet face to face or participate in workshops on essential admission topics.

5) Diversity Initiatives

  • LSAC makes resources available to advocate for and promote broad-based diversity in legal education and the legal profession. Through these efforts, LSAC seeks to ensure that the justice system reflects all who interact with it.

6) Candidate Referral Service (CRS)

  • CRS makes it possible for law school candidates to provide information about themselves that will make it easy for law schools to recruit them. Law schools may seek out potential applicants on the basis of specific characteristics such as undergraduate major, ethnicity, law school preferences, etc. Candidates who establish an account may authorize release of their CRS information to participating law schools, agencies, etc. Many potential applicants are recruited by law schools they might not otherwise have considered.

7) LSAC Ambassadors Program

  • LSAC Ambassadors are trained experts in law school admission matters. Through educational presentations and professional consultations, LSAC Ambassadors provide both law school candidates and legal education professionals with encouragement, current information, and instruction on how to utilize the vast array of tools available on


  • Anyone can log into the website and access resources!

How do I enroll?

  • Go to
  • At the top right-hand corner click the “Login As” button
  • Click “JD Account” if you are looking to get The Juris Doctor (JD) Degree
  • Or click “LLM and Other Law Programs Account” if you are interested in pursuing a master’s degree in law, academic master’s degrees for non-lawyers, research and academic-based doctorate level degrees, or certificate programs offered by ABA-approved law schools.Or click “LLM and Other Law Programs Account” if you are interested in pursuing a master’s degree in law, academic master’s degrees for non-lawyers, research and academic-based doctorate level degrees, or certificate programs offered by ABA-approved law schools.
  • Create an account by clicking the “create an account” link found below the “log into your account button”
  • Fill out the blank fields with your information
  • Click “Create an Account”
  • Get access to their research database and other resources (mentioned above) on their website!


Beauty Changes Lives is a nonprofit driven to make the beauty profession a first-choice career. They empower next generation beauty professionals through scholarships, mentorship and advanced education.

Beauty Changes Lives offers:

  • Scholarships for students interested in pursuing a career in beauty
  • Advice and a beauty career handbook for how to begin a career in the beauty industry
  • A mentorship program in which licensed professionals are matched with a professional mentor in the same trade
  • Best practice videos showing good technique and tips


  • Anyone can access this resource!

How to Get Services

  • Visit
  • Click on the menu (top right-hand corner or webpage) for a list of opportunities
  • Click “Scholarships” to see scholarship options
  • Click “Get Involved” for mentorship opportunitiesClick “Get Involved” for mentorship opportunities
  • Click “For Schools” for advice in pursuing a beauty career


At Learn How to Become, their mission is to help individuals find the best career, from the new graduates trying to land their first job to the seasoned professional climbing the company ladder. They are here to support you every step of the way with content on how to write the perfect resume, nail the interview, and more.

Learn How to Become offers:

  • Outlines and information on how to pursue a variety of careers and what they entail
  • A “Get Hired Toolkit” that contains a large list of guides including interviews do’s and don’ts, resume tips and advice
  • Facts about online education and university rankings
  • A database of programs that offer your desired career


  • Free for anyone to access

How do I enroll?

  • No enrollment necessary!
  • Go to
  • Click on the drop-down menu that says “Select a Career”
  • Select your desired career
    • Read up on the information provided!
  • Continue scrolling to the bottom of the page to find programs offered in that field
  • Or click on the menu found on the top right-hand side for “Careers”, “Online Education”, and “Resource Center”
    • “Careers” – find the career you want to research
    • “Online Education” – find information about online programs, schools, and the university rankings
    • “Resource Center” – find the “Get Hired Toolkit” for general advice to help you get hired.


323-769-2705 | |

The LAFS Library’s goal is to provide direct support for the educational mission of the school, by selecting and organizing current and relevant books, media, and digital resources; to assist students and faculty in locating and retrieving information effectively, and to assist in the educational and professional development of students.

Los Angeles Film School Library offers:

  • Databases containing a wealth of information
  • Tutorials
  • Subject guides containing other websites, books and resources that could be helpful
  • In-person, the library has computers, headphones, chargers. game consoles, and other supplies available for free
  • Ability to check out library books (with a library card)


  • Anyone can access these online resources
    • Some require a library card

How do I enroll?

  • No enrollment necessary!
  • Go to
  • Under “Collections” find books, magazines, films and screenplays
  • Under “Research”, find the A-Z database, library catalog, subject guides, tutorials, and other resources


The website contains tutorials in film making, reviews of products commonly used, and a directory of how you might be able to get free items to help your filmmaking career! offers:

  • Provides a list of film events, workshops, and courses that you can attend
  • Reviews of accessories, cameras and other software commonly used so you know you can get the best items offered
  • Has lengthy tutorials teaching you how to use editing software and effects
  • Lists of grants and funding
  • A list of free items available that can help get your film career going!


  • Anyone can access this resource!

How do I enroll?


800-999-2782 |

The American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) Is a non-profit focused on building a community that advances the profession of physical therapy to improve the health of society. Their website encourages membership, but it is NOT necessary. There are free resources you can access WITHOUT having a paid membership.

American Physical Therapy Association offers:

  • Free access to their career center to find next steps in your physical therapist career and job opportunities
  • Free access to some courses online in their learning center
  • Free access to a “Guide to Physical Therapist Practice”
  • Free advice on Patient Care
  • Free access to information on advocacy efforts in the field of physical therapy
  • Free access to volunteering opportunities


  • Anyone is free to access this page

How do I enroll?

  • Go to
  • To access some of the free resources you need a FREE account (THIS IS NOT A MEMBERSHIP)
    • To do this, click on the button on the top left that says “Join/Renew”
    • Scroll down and click on the orange button that says “Join or renew online”
    • Below the words saying, “Don’t have an APTA account?” find the link to “Create a free account”
    • Input your information
    • Once that is complete, you have an account! Simply login and have access to all their free resources.
      • Don’t fill out any form that asks what membership you have or asks for any credit card information.
  • Click on the menu found at the top right of the screen
    • Select the option you want to explore
    • Select “Your Career” for next steps, tips and job opportunities
    • Select “Your Practice ” for more information about the physical therapy practice
    • Select “Patient Care” for advice on working with patients
    • Select “Advocacy” to learn about different efforts in the physical therapy community
    • Select “APTA and You” for more information about the APTA and possible volunteering opportunities
  • Or scroll down to the very bottom of the page and under “APTA Related Sites” find the APTA Career Center and the “Guide to Physical Therapist Practice”


The Institute of Culinary Education’s recreational division (New York campus) is known for more than 800 cooking, baking, beverage, and professional development classes a season, for 26,000 people a year. Now, they’ve added free online cooking classes to the menu for home cooks of all levels via Zoom Webinar. Classes that may have cost money in the past are now free and accessible! Their professional chefs will guide you through crafting plant-based comfort foods, baking the ultimate cookies, perfecting one-pot paella, hosting the ultimate Taco Tuesday, and tackling sous vide techniques.


  • Anyone is free to access this page

How do I enroll?

  • Go to
  • Scroll down to below “Virtual Cooking Classes”
  • Review the classes available
  • Click “Register”, found under the description of each class
  • Register on Zoom for the class desired. Sign up for as many as you’d like!
  • Upon registration, you will receive a confirmation email that includes the link to the Zoom webinar.
  • A few days before the class, you will receive a reminder email with the recipes and ingredient list so that you can follow along.
    • Only the chef will be visible on video, and you will have the opportunity to type questions during a Q&A.
  • Click the Zoom link at the time of class and enjoy!


This online resource center covers a broad range of subjects to ensure you’re comfortable handling anything financial that might come your way. These tips and tools are created by experts and have helped people in every kind of situation make smarter financial decisions which lead to financial confidence.

Million Stories offers:

  • Short, interesting lessons on everything from managing a budget, to saving, to buying a car, or even a home
  • Provide a personalized learning plan for you!


  • Anyone can access this resource!

How do I enroll?

  • No enrollment necessary!
  • Go to
  • Scroll down to just below “Welcome” and click the button that says “Click To Create Your Personalized Learning Plan”
    • Select the options that you are interested in
    • Receive your own personalized plan!
  • Or scroll down to find and select the lesson plan of your choice!

Educational Financial Aid


Serving people who are interested in college funding, listing a broad array of funding opportunities without asking for information from the applicant. There are no long forms to fill out in order to access their resources. offers:

  • They provide a list of all kinds of scholarships available, separated into the following categories for the applicant’s convenience:
    • Demographic groups (i.e., women, Latinos, African Americans, etc.)
    • Family specific (i.e., foster children, low-income, adult students, etc.)
    • Subject (i.e., law, teaching, nursing, cosmetology, etc.)
    • Fortune 500 scholarship programs (i.e., Target, Pepsi, Apple, etc.)
    • Military scholarships (I.e., veterans, spouses, children & other dependents)
    • Athletic scholarships (i, e, football, soccer, tennis, etc.)
    • Scholarships for students with medical conditions (i.e., cancer, diabetes, epilepsy, etc.)
    • Scholarships by degree level (for undergraduate to doctoral students)
    • And more!
  • A list of grants available
  • A list of loans you can apply for if necessary and how to consolidate them
  • Tips from the 529 Investment Programs – state government instituted sponsored savings plan


  • Available free online for everyone

How do I apply?

  • Go to
  • Search for scholarships in any category using their keyword search box
  • OR you can click the menu (on the top left) for a drop-down list of financial aid help
  • Select college scholarships, college grants, student loans, or financial aid to search for more information on each!


To receive these foster care college grants, you must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form. This application takes your income into consideration to determine how much support you will need to pay for college in the form of grants and loans.


  • Have financial need
  • U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen
  • Enrolled in eligible degree or certificate program at college or career school
  • More eligibility requirements

How do I apply?

  • Start by applying to FAFSA – visit the website and complete the FAFSA form


If you are or were in foster care for at least one day, between the ages of 16 and 18 as a dependent or ward of the court and have financial need, you may qualify for up to $5,000 a year for career and technical training or college. You don’t have to pay this money back. You may also be able to use your grant to help pay for childcare, transportation and rent while you’re in school. You can use your Chafee Grant at any eligible California college, university, career or technical school, as well as schools in other states.


  • Be a current of former foster youth who was a ward of the court, living in foster care, for at least one day between the ages of 16 and 18.
  • If you are/were in Kin-GAP, a non-related legal guardianship, or were adopted, you are eligible only if you were a dependent or ward of the court, living in foster care, for at least one day between the ages of 16 and 18.
  • Have not reached your 26th birthday as of July 1 of the award year.
  • Have not participated in the program for more than 5 years (whether or not consecutive).
  • Must be attending a school that is either a qualifying institution that is eligible for participation in the Cal Grant Program, or an institution that is not located in CA with a 3 year cohort default rate that is less than 15.5% and a graduation rate greater than 30%.

How do I apply?


This grant is a form of federal financial aid available to all students that are U.S. citizens (or eligible non-citizens) and meet certain income and education requirements. You can receive up to $6,095 per academic year plus $3,048 if enrolled during the summer. This grant can be used at public or private, two-or four-year universities or colleges in California or out of state.


  • Undergraduate and vocational students enrolled or accepted for enrollment in participating schools
  • Awarded usually only to students who have not earned a bachelor’s or a professional degree
  • Must meet the general federal student aid eligibility requirements
  • Must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

How do I apply?

  • FAFSA must be completed first
  • Grant will be applied if eligible


The Cal Grant is a form of state aid for California residents who attend college in California. Students attending four-year colleges and universities will often receive this grant.


  • Submit the FAFSA or CADAA application and your verified Cal Grant GPA by the deadline.
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen or meet AB540 eligibility criteria.
  • Must be a California resident for 1 year.
  • Attend a qualifying California college.
  • Do not have a bachelor’s or professional degree.
  • Have financial need at the college of your choice.
  • Have family income and assets below the minimum levels.
  • Be enrolled or plan to enroll in a program leading to an undergraduate degree or certificate.
  • Be enrolled or plan to enroll at least half-time.
  • Have registered with the U.S. Selective Service, if required to do so.
  • Do not owe a refund on any state or federal grant or be in default on a student loan.
  • Are currently not incarcerated.
  • Maintain the Satisfactory Academic Progress standards as established by the school. Recipients who do not meet the standards are ineligible for Cal Grant payment and will not use eligibility during the terms they are ineligible for payment.

How do I apply?

  • FAFSA must be completed first


California Community College Promise Grant permits enrollment fees to be waived. Assistance for the purchase of books and supplies must be applied for separately.


  • For eligible California residents
  • Select Community Colleges

How do I apply?

Job Training


323-761-8888 |

Free Job Training for: Banking, Apartment Maintenance Technicians, Certified Nurse Assistants, and non-clinical positions in healthcare. JVS job training requires no more than 8 weeks of intensive training, connects graduates with employer-partners for rapid placement and provides career guidance and ongoing job retention support.


  • Must be 18 or older
  • High School Diploma or GED
  • Fluent in English
  • Valid California ID
  • Acceptance conditioned upon passing criminal background check
  • Additional eligibility requirements will apply

How do I apply?


855-YEARUP1 |

Unpaid job training program – Year Up is a one-year intensive training and internship program that prepares young adults for successful careers in information technology and business.


  • 18-24 years old
  • High School Graduate or have GED
  • Low-Moderate Income
  • A US Citizen, Permanent Resident, or have Employment Authorization Card
  • Available 5 days per week for the full year of the program
  • Highly motivated to learn new technical and professional skills
  • Have not obtained a bachelor’s degree

How do I apply?

  • Apply here:
  • Classes begin in January and August – applications are considered on a rolling basis until class is filled.


Learning to program computers and build websites – 16-week program. Unpaid.


  • Female
  • Low Income

How do I apply?


Sustainable Life Project – Culinary internship program for young adults who’ve grown out of foster care and into new lives on their own. Six-month paid Internship for those interested in the culinary arts.


  • Former foster youth

How do I apply?

  • Application is available online at – go to bottom of page and click Sustainable Life Project.


Creative Futures Collective is offering a fellowship that will help prepare participants for careers in the creative industries, including: Storytelling, Conflict Resolution, Mindfulness, Goal Setting, Financial Literacy, Brand Building, Networking, and more!

  • Easier access: All workshops and internships are online only
  • More opportunities: They are scaling from 10 Fellows to 100 Fellows in this next cohort
  • New markets: On top of LA they’re opening up New York, Atlanta, Chicago and Australia

Creative Futures Fellowship offers:

  • 12 course workshops lead by industry experts
  • Access to a 100+ mentor network with executives from companies such as Apple, Netflix, Google and CAA
  • A guaranteed paid internship with an innovative company in the creative industries (paid at $20 per hour) with partners such as Spotify, LA Lakers, World Surf League and Omaze to name a few
  • A success toolkit including laptop computer
  • Lifetime access to the Creative Futures Collective community and they work with all graduates on full time employment opportunities once graduated. Currently 70% of their graduated Fellows are employed full-time
  • There are a few differences in the upcoming cohort due to the craziness that 2020 has presented


  • Must be over 18
  • Must have a valid form of ID
  • Must come from one of their non-profit partners (i.e. A Sense of Home)

How do I enroll?

  • Go to
  • Read through to answer any other questions you have
  • Scroll down to the bottom of the page
  • Click on “Apply Now” under “Become a part of our growing creative community and make a meaningful change.”
  • Once the next page opens, select “Apply Now” and complete the application!



The RightWay Foundation partners with former foster youth to build healthy, stable lives. Programs address past trauma, support successful employment, and promote healing and self-sufficiency in adulthood.


  • 18-24 Current or former foster youth (Once they sign up, they are in for life)
  • No location restrictions

How do I apply?

  • Call 323-903-5021
  • First step is intake, then 32-hour readiness training TU-FRI 9:30-5PM. Trainings are set per month


The Peer Advocate will work closely with CLC’s transition age youth (TAY) clients, particularly those youth who are young adults in foster care (known as Non-Minor Dependents “NMD”) and their attorneys, helping to ensure youth have access to the necessary resources and services to prepare for life after foster care. In addition, the Peer Advocate will work directly with our teenage clients outside of the courtroom and in the community, collaborating with a cross sector of child welfare, workforce, educational, and other community and county agencies working with transitioning age youth.

The Peer Advocate will focus on “hard to reach youth” – those who face the most barriers and are at the greatest risk of teen pregnancy and early parenthood, involvement with the criminal justice system, have experienced challenges in reaching educational goals and who lack family support.


  • Former Foster Youth
  • 18+
  • Clearance of background check
  • High School Diploma or GED
  • Willingness and ability to travel
  • Have a valid CA Driver’s License, reliable automobile, and car insurance
  • Excellent Interpersonal Skills
  • Interest in law, policy, social work

How do I apply?

  • Visit the website and and click Careers

Wellness & Mental Health


Former Foster Youth – FREE Health Care until 26 in CA


  • Were in foster care in ANY state on your 18th birthday or later
  • Live in California now
  • Younger than 26

How do I enroll?



Individual therapy for children and adults – there is sometimes a waiting list.


  • Anyone. Children and Adults (all genders), all ages
  • Have to have MediCal
  • Be in their service area (SPA 4)
  • Call St. Anne’s and talk to Mental Health Department

How do I enroll?

  • Call Phone: 213-381-2931 and select #3
  • Ask about enrolling


323-541-1411 |

Los Angeles Preventative health, mental health, and dental services.


  • All ages welcome

How do I enroll?


310-337-1550 |

Pacific Asian Counseling Services offers mental health counseling. They are culturally sensitive and has a large language capacity.

Pacific Asian Counseling Services offers:

  • Case management
  • Linkage for housing, shelter, legal services, food, clothing, etc.
  • Benefits enrollment
  • Peer support
  • Referrals


  • MediCal eligible children and adults

How do I enroll?

  • Call 310-337-1550 to enroll (Monday–Friday, 9am–6pm)
  • Press 1 if you are in a crisis
  • Press 3 to begin counseling. You will leave a message with your information and should receive a call back within 24 hours.


323-293-8771 |

The agency provides mental health services for youth up to age 24 in Los Angeles County.


  • 0-24
  • Medi-Cal
  • Social Security Number
  • SPA 6/8

How do I enroll?


To help you weather this storm, Headspace and the LA County Department of Mental Health have partnered to provide support and resources during this challenging time. This is an amazing mediation app that promotes mindfulness. AND it is currently free for LA residents!

Headspace Mental Health App offers:

  • Meditation
  • Sleep exercises
  • Movement exercises


  • Anyone physically in Los Angeles County can sign up for free!
    • If you’re not in the LA Area, you can use the resources available on their website or create a free account and use their Weathering the storm content
  • This offer is only available to those who don’t have an existing subscription to Headspace Plus.
    • If you already have a Headspace Plus subscription, you’d simply log into your account

How do I enroll?

  • Go to
  • Scroll down to “Here’s how you get some Headspace”
  • Click “Get free subscription”
    • Please make sure to allow your browser to share your location when prompted. They will temporarily process this broad location information to verify eligibility.

Legal Services


213-368-6010 |

The Alliance for Children’s Rights provides a vital bridge for young adults as they strive for self-sufficiency. Young people exiting the foster care or delinquency systems in Los Angeles often face severe challenges in education, employment, and overall well-being. The Alliance works to remove barriers to self-sufficiency, promote self-advocacy, and build a foundation for the future for youth who lack other support systems.

The Alliance ensures that young adults who are or have been in foster care or on probation and are between 14 and 24 know their legal rights and entitlements. We provide free consultation and legal services.

Alliance of Children’s Rights offers:

  • Resolving identity theft
  • Addressing credit/collections issues
  • Reviewing contracts/leases
  • Addressing legal problems resulting from false advertising and marketing schemes
  • Clearing juvenile tickets
  • Sealing juvenile records
  • Appealing SSI denials
  • Access to resources for stable housing
  • Education resources
  • Access to job training and job placement services
  • Help accessing health care
  • Mentoring
  • Opportunities for youth to become peer advocates through our Young Leaders group


  • Ages 14-24

How do I enroll?



Peace 4 Kids is a non-profit, volunteer supported organization promoting trust, equity, and stability for children in foster care. Former foster youth can volunteer in the program.

Peace 4 Kids volunteer opportunities:

  • Engage, mentor and provide leadership for youth in foster care, ages 4-18 years old
  • Support our educational team in facilitating creative learning onsite and on field trips
  • Create a consistent, nurturing community-based environment
  • Have fun making new friends with like-minded folks!


  • Be at least 18 years of age
  • Agree to participate in at least 2 Saturdays per month (4 hours each)
  • Commit to a minimum of one year of service

How do I volunteer?

  • Email Miriam Cortez-Cáceres, Program Director, at
  • Or visit (when orientations are available, you can scroll to the bottom of the page and sign up to attend a no-commitment New Volunteer Orientation)
  • After completing orientation, you will sign up to attend training & receive your DOJ clearance (offered on-site)


424-208-8840 |

In-person volunteering is currently on hold, but you can still foster! Best Friends Animal Society is a leading national animal welfare organization dedicated to ending the killing of dogs and cats in America’s shelters.

Best Friends Animal Society in LA volunteer opportunities:

  • Pet Lifesaving Centers: The Best Friends Lifesaving Center in Mission Hills features over 250 cats and dogs available for adoption from LA Animal Services. The NKLA Pet Adoption Center in West L.A. features over 100 cats and dogs available for adoption from our Best Friends adoption program and our coalition partners. The Jefferson Park Pet Resource Center in South LA works with treating and socializing our ringworm and working cat populations. You can help with a variety of tasks from animal care to cleaning.
  • Foster: If you love pets but can’t adopt, you can help by fostering a pet! To read more about our foster program and apply to be a foster visit our website.
  • Kitten Care Program: The kittens at the Best Friends Kitten Care Program rely on hundreds of volunteers to provide them with around-the-clock care. There’s bottle-feeding every two hours, food preparation, socialization and more.
  • Community Outreach: Outreach Ambassadors are volunteers who attend a variety of events as representatives of Best Friends. Ambassadors are confident, friendly and comfortable talking about the Best Friends mission and current programs/services in place to help the community. This is an exciting opportunity to engage with the community and spread awareness about our various lifesaving initiatives!
  • NKLA Super Adoption Weekend: At the NKLA Super Adoption Weekend, dozens of Southern California NKLA Coalition partners, rescue groups and shelters feature about 1,000 of their adoptable pets. That means about 500 volunteers are needed to help make the event a success.
  • Strut Your Mutt: Strut Your Mutt is our largest fundraiser for local rescue groups, shelters, spay/neuter clinics and more. Volunteers are needed for a number of different shifts throughout the event, including set-up the day before and tear down after the event ends.


  • Anyone

How do I volunteer?

  • Visit
  • Select “Start Volunteering” and be sure to check off the path for Los Angeles (if under 18 select “Los Angeles Under 18” pathway).
  • Follow the steps to fully activate your volunteer account (filling out a volunteer profile and signing the electronic volunteer agreements).
  • You will receive an automated email after profile completion with details about volunteer opportunities along with sign up instructions.


The Real to REEL film festival was created by a former ASOH recipient and volunteer!

How do I volunteer?


Are you Homeless now?
CES Access Center:

HOPICS – Eviction Prevention Program for Low-Income Participants

323-948-0444 |

If you are you having trouble paying rent, the Eviction Prevention Program helps low income participants at imminent risk of becoming homeless to secure and/or retain housing. The program can provide up to 6 months of rental assistance and move-in.


Households must not exceed the following household size and annual median income (AMI) prior to COVID-19 to be eligible:

  • AMI – 50%
  • 1 Person – $39,450
  • 2 People – $45,050
  • 3 People – $50,700
  • 4 People – $56,300

Documents needed for signing up:

  • Proof of Hardship
  • Bring 3, 30, or 60 day Pay, Quit, or Eviction notice
  • Bring lease
  • Bring proof of income
  • Bring identification documents
  • ID
  • Social Security Number
  • Reside in SPA 6: 90016, 90018, 90007, 90062, 90008, 90043, 90044, 90047, 90037, 90011, 90001, 90003, 90002, 90059, 90061, 90248, 90746, 90222, 90220, 90262, 90221, 90723

How do I enroll?

  • Email
  • Single Adults: Call (323) 432-4399 OR Visit 5849 Crocker Street, Los Angeles, CA 90003. Walk-ins are welcome. Arrive 30 minutes before opening to ensure service. Open Monday-Friday, 8AM-4:30PM
  • Families with small children under 18: Call (323) 432-4399 OR Visit 5849 Crocker Street, Los Angeles, CA 90003 – Entrance on San Pedro Street. Walk-ins are welcome. Arrive 30 minutes before opening to ensure service. Open Monday-Friday, 8AM-5PM


213-381-2931 |

St. Anne’s works to build safe, nurturing and resilient families – from pregnancy to parenthood and childhood to adulthood – for generations to come. They offer various housing programs for everyone, including people with specific needs and in specific situations.

St. Anne’s THP+FC (Transitional Housing for young moms)


  • 18-21 THP+FC
  • Mothers
  • Pregnant or parenting
  • Max 2 children (if more, please contact)

How do I enroll?

St. Anne’s Transitional Housing – (Transitional Housing for young moms)


  • 18-24
  • Can stay 2 years in program
  • Pregnant or parenting
  • Max 2 children (if more, still please contact)

How do I enroll?


213-835-2700 (Korea Town location) | 213-279-2785 (South LA) |

My First Place Program provides transitional housing and support services for former foster youth and homeless. The program services are focused on helping our participants advance in education, employment and build life-skills to achieve a successful transition to self-sufficiency and responsible adulthood.


  • Current and former foster youth, probation youth, and homeless youth
  • Ages 18–24
  • Looking for help in: Alameda County, Contra Costa County, Los Angeles County, San Francisco County, Santa Clara County, and Solano County

How do I enroll?


1325 N. Western Avenue Los Angeles CA 90027 |

Homeless shelter with career center, employment specialist, school on site (GED/Diploma), clinic, mental health services, substance abuse counselors, etc.


  • 18-24 years old and are homeless and/or have been trafficked

How do I enroll?

  • Go to Covenant House (Monday-Friday, 9AM–5PM) located at 1325 N. Western Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90027
  • Ask for the Outreach Department – let them know you are there to receive services
  • Try and arrive early – as they have a current waitlist.
  • You can also go to, click on “Get Help”, input your city or zip code to find the closest Covenant House location to you


The Los Angeles County Development Authority’s (LACDA) Homeless Incentive Program (HIP) offers monetary incentives to encourage landlords to rent their available units to LACDA’s homeless Section 8 voucher holders.

LACDA Homelessness Incentive Program offers:

  • Holding Fee: Receive one month’s free rent to hold available housing units for homeless individuals or families.
  • Payment of Rental Application Fees: Provides payment of all applicable application fees, up to $50.00* per adult, per application. This amount is subject to change based on California’s maximum application screening fee.
  • Move-in Assistance: Provides move-in assistance such as security deposit, utility assistance, and furniture essentials.
  • Vacancy Loss Payments: Provides owners with Vacancy Loss Payments in the amount of one month’s rent, if the family vacates the unit without proper notice or if the family is evicted from the unit for good cause.
  • Damage Claims: Provides financial assistance to landlords to mitigate damage caused by tenants during their occupancy.


  • Have county section 8 homeless voucher, be a first-time recipient.
  • Live in these areas: Most LA County cities, unincorporated and incorporated.

How do I enroll?


877-724-4775 |

CHIRP/LA (Comprehensive Housing Information and Referrals for People Living with HIV/AIDS) is a program of PAWS/LA (Pets Are Wonderful Support, Los Angeles), with grant funding from HOPWA (Housing Opportunities for Persons With AIDS) that is administered by HCIDLA (Los Angeles Housing & Community Investment Department).

CHIRP/LA offers:

  • Low-Income Fare is Easy (LIFE)
  • No Fee & Reduced Fee Identification Card Forms
  • Housing Stability Workshops
  • Clothing Vouchers
  • Email Set-up
  • Free Credit Check
  • Guides & Listings
  • Weekly Newsletters


  • A valid California ID or Driver’s License.
  • HIV/AIDS Diagnosis form (within a year of service date)
  • Proof of Income (GR or SSI print out, 3 months of pay stubs, bank statements, etc.)
  • Proof of address (government document or current utility bill)

How do I enroll?

  • Visit
  • Click “Services” found at the top of the website
  • Select the type of service you want and the area you’re in and click “Search”
  • Select the resource you want
  • For more information: Call: 213-741-1951 at extension: 202 or Email:

Domestic Violence Aid


1-800-799-7233 |

24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year, the National Domestic Violence Hotline provides essential tools and support to help survivors of domestic violence so they can live their lives free of abuse.

National Domestic Violence Hotline offers:

  • Contacts to The Hotline can expect highly trained, expert advocates to offer free, confidential, and compassionate support
  • Crisis intervention information
  • Crisis intervention education
  • Referral services in over 200 languages
  • How to Identify Abuse
  • Plan for Safety
  • Help with How to Support Others
  • Local Resources


  • Anyone can call or visit their website

How do I enroll?

  • No enrollment necessary
  • Call 1-800-799-7233 to receive help over the phone
  • Go to
    • Click call to receive help over the phone
    • Click chat to receive help through an online chat
    • Scroll down to find more information about: How to Identify Abuse, A Plan for Safety, How to Support Others, Local Resources


1-800-978-3600 |

The Los Angeles County Department of Public Social Services is offering support over the phone and online to help you end the abuse in your life and the lives of your family.

Los Angeles County Domestic Violence Hotline offers:

  • Instant over the phone help for those in need of immediate support
  • A link to battered women shelters / walk-in centers
  • Information about additional services you can receive / should apply for


  • Anyone can call or visit their website

How do I enroll?

  • No enrollment necessary!
  • Call 1-800-978-3600 to receive help over the phone
  • Or for more information, go to
    • Scroll down to “Domestic Violence”
    • Click Domestic Violence Details
    • Scroll and read about what services you’re able to apply for

General Resources


211 is the most comprehensive source of locally curated social services information in the U.S. and most of Canada. Call, text or chat with your local 211 to speak with a community resource specialist in your area who will help you find services and resourcces that are available to you.

211 offers:

  • Supplemental food and nutrition programs
  • Shelter and housing options and utilities assistance
  • Emergency information and disaster relief
  • Employment and education opportunities
  • Service for Veterans
  • Health care, vaccination and health epidemic information
  • Addiction prevention and rehabilitation programs
  • Reentry help for ex-offenders
  • Support groups for individuals with mental illness or special needs
  • A safe, confidential path out of physical/or emotional domestic abuse


  • No eligibility requirement

How do I enroll?

  • You don’t need to enroll to access resources through 211
  • Call or text 211 to speak with a community resource specialist in your area

Opportunity Youth Collaborative (OYC)

L.A. Opportunity Youth Collaborative Database of programs and services for transition age foster youth in the central LA.


  • No eligibility requirement

How do I enroll?

  • You don’t need to enroll to access the database
  • Visit to learn about existing programs and an array of services for transition-age foster youth


626-765-6010 |

Located in Pasadena, Youth Moving On provides youth who were formerly in foster care and probation affordable quality housing and numerous support services to help them transition successfully to adulthood. Youth learn skills for lasting independence and a lifetime of personal fulfillment through housing services and workforce development and linkages to other resources.

Youth Moving On offers:

  • Substance Abuse Support – send someone to help them anywhere in the community. Kind of like a mentor.
  • Mental health
  • Case Management
  • Help with housing applications
  • support groups (on hold)
  • Housing services – SPA 3
  • Next step
  • Free food, clothing hygiene, shower
  • Computer center
  • Community events


  • Must be ages 18-25

How do I enroll?

  • Call the center (626-765-6010) between Monday–Friday, 9:00 am–5:30 pm
  • Visit the Peer Resource Center (456 E. Orange Grove Blvd., Suite 140, Pasadena, CA 91104) Monday–Friday, 11:00am–3:00pm (we recommend making an appointment before your visit)
  • For more information email or

A Sense of Home does not endorse or recommend any of the provided resources and provides them for informational purposes only.

Resource Network - A Sense of Home